An Oregon woman discovered this morning exactly how many energy gels she can tolerate during a single run.
That number is 18.
When Sylvia Plath, 29, set out for her run she had already ingested six gels. ("I missed breakfast," she told Dumb Runner. "And I know how important it is to fuel up.") She then began her run, slurping down an additional gel every mile. Nearing the end of her 14-mile loop, she swallowed gel number 18 and "started to feel a little funny." With one mile to go, she said, she took gel number 19.
And that, said Plath, is when the trouble started.
"My stomach just began to feel rumbly," she said. "Then the rumble became a cramp. Then I lost all feeling on the left side of my body and my vision got weird."
"You know how, like, in Star Wars when they go to light speed and all the stars become blurs, racing past them?" she said. "Like that."
"Also, I could hear colors."
At last report, Plath was leaning against a tree, staring silently at the ground. It was unclear what her next move would be.
"I don't feel so good," she said.